Context: Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has issued an advisory to all States regarding mandatory operation by the police in crime against women.
Whats does the law say:
- According to the Indian Evidence Act, 1872 – The statement, written or verbal, by a person who is dead shall be treated as a relevant factor in the investigation when the statement is made by a person as to the cause of his death, or as to any of the circumstances of the transaction which resulted in his/her death.
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
Some of the mandatory measures that have to be taken in cases of crime against women:
- Compulsory registration of FIR in cases of cognizable offenses, including sexual assault.
- Collection of evidence for forensic examination
- Use of Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kit
- Completion of investigation in sexual assault cases in 2 months
- Use of the national database on sexual offenders for identifying and tracking repeat offenders